The three gunmen thought to be responsible for the attack on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, in which 12 people were killed, are still on the run.
Eyewitnesses used Twitter to communicate the events as they unfolded. The tweet below says: "They fired twice the bullets went through the door and window"
Ils ont tiré à deux reprises les balles ont traversé la porte et la fenêtre pic.twitter.com/Jhgi4MBlnp
— yve cresson (@yvecresson) January 7, 2015
'10 dead' as 'men with Kalashnikovs' enter offices of Charlie Hebdo – the French Private Eye-style magazine
— Louise Ridley (@LouiseRidley) January 7, 2015
French president Francois Hollande travelled to the scene of the attack, which he condemned as an act of terrorism. He said: "No barbaric act will never extinguish the freedom of the press . We are a united country"
This map shows the estimated location of Charlie Hebdo's offices in Paris's 11th arrondissement:
Charlie Hebdo has previously published a series of cartoons called “Life of Mohammed”, which resulted in the offices being attacked in 2011. In 2007 it was taken to court for insulting Islam after it republished the infamous Danish cartoons.
This is the last tweet published by the magazine, which went out less than an hour ago (10:28am GMT)
David Cameron has issued a statement condemning the attacks. "The murders in Paris are sickening. We stand with the French people in the fight against terror and defending the freedom of the press."
The murders in Paris are sickening. We stand with the French people in the fight against terror and defending the freedom of the press.
— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) January 7, 2015