A man who claimed to have an explosive device near the Congress building in Washington D.C has surrendered and is now in custody.
Multiple buildings around the US Capitol were evacuated on Thursday after a man in a black truck told police he had a bomb.
The suspect was identified by authorities as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry.
The US Capitol police earlier described the situation as “an active bomb threat investigation”, in a tweet urging the public to avoid the area around the Library of Congress.
MEDIA ALERT: This is an active bomb threat investigation. The staging area for journalists covering this situation is at Constitution and First Street, NW for your safety.— U.S. Capitol Police (@CapitolPolice) August 19, 2021
Please continue to avoid the area around the Library of Congress. pic.twitter.com/jTNVaBmVwR
The man drove a vehicle onto the pavement in front of the Library of Congress at 9.15 am Eastern Time and showed a police officer what looked like a detonator, US Capitol police chief Tom Manger told reporters.
Negotiators were communicating with the suspect and trying to reach a resolution, the police chief added.
Officials said the suspect had been broadcasting on social media from the scene.
“We don’t know what his motives are at this time,” Manger said at the press conference.
Most lawmakers are not in their offices as the Senate and House are not in session.