A court has ruled that the Scottish government acted unlawfully when it investigated sexual harassment claims against former first minister Alex Salmond.
Salmond denies the allegations, which date back to 2013 when he was first minister. They were made to the Scottish government a year ago.
At the court of session in Edinburgh, Scotland's supreme civil court, the government admitted it breached its own guidelines by appointing an investigating officer who had had prior contact with the complainants.
Judge Lord Pentland ruled that the government's handling of the case had been "procedurally unfair" and "tainted with apparent bias".
Speaking outside the Court of Session in Edinburgh, Salmond said: "The last time I was in that court was to be sworn in as first minister of Scotland. I never thought it possible that at any point I would be taking the Scottish government to court.
"Therefore while I am glad about the victory which has been achieved today, I am sad that it was necessary to take this action."
Salmond thanked the 4,000 people who crowdfunded than £100,000 to help pay for his legal challenge against the government.
The government has agreed to pay his legal costs, meaning the money raised will go "good causes", he said.
A police inquiry into the allegations against Salmond is ongoing.
STATEMENT – Alex Salmond welcomes court victory as Scottish Government admits defeat pic.twitter.com/QHaFJm6BzJ
— Alex Salmond (@AlexSalmond) January 8, 2019