High-end sandwich store Pret a Manger has said it will label all the ingredients in its products following the death of a teenager from an allergic reaction to one of its baguettes.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, had a severe sesame allergy and died after eating a baguette, which did not list all of the ingredients, from a Pret shop in Heathrow Airport.
The new labels will now apply to all products made in its kitchens and will list all ingredients, including allergens. Pret said it would start trialling the full ingredient labelling on product packaging from next month, with the aim to roll-out the new labels "as quickly as possible".
In the meantime, it said that over the next few weeks prominent allergen warning stickers would be placed on all freshly made products, while full ingredient information, including allergens, would be placed on all products available online and in store. This will be accompanied by additional allergen warning signs in shops.
Pret said it was also improving its complaints handling procedures to ensure all allergy-related incidents are reported within 24 hours.
Pret's chief executive Clive Schlee said: "I want to say again how deeply sorry we are for the loss of Natasha. I said we would learn from this tragedy and ensure meaningful changes happen. I hope these measures set us on course to drive change in the industry so people with allergies are as protected and informed as possible. Nothing is more important to Pret right now."