ITV has joined the BBC in pulling out of hosting this weekend’s proposed Brexit debate, with the Conservatives and Labour again unable to agree on how to structure the televised debate.
ITV said it “invited the Prime Minister and leader of the opposition to appear in an ITV programme this Sunday evening, and we have been clear that it is up to those invited to decide whether they want to accept the invitation”.
The BBC earlier this week took itself out of the running to host the debate after it failed to get Corbyn to agree to its format. The BBC had wanted to include “an opportunity to hear from a wider range of sources”.
ITV was rumoured to favour a simpler head-to-head format, but it has also failed to break the impasse between Corbyn and May.
A Labour representative said: “Theresa May is once again running scared of debating Jeremy Corbyn, just as she did in the general election. Jeremy Corbyn accepted the Prime Minister’s offer of a debate on Brexit immediately. He said he would relish the opportunity to debate her, and that remains the case.
“Labour believed the head-to-head offer from ITV was the most straightforward format. A head-to-head would give viewers the greatest clarity and allow both speakers to get into detail.
“The Prime Minister has refused to join Jeremy in a head-to-head debate. Her team tried to confuse people with a convoluted format. But the British public will see this for what it is – Theresa May unable to face real scrutiny over her crumbling deal.”