- Replacement of the decking on the bascules (the bridge's moveable sections)
- Corrosion prevention and repair operations
- Replacement of worn expansion joints
- Resurfacing of fixed roads and walkways
- Waterproofing of approach viaducts
- Overhaul/maintenance of key mechanical and lift components
- General cleaning/repairs to the towers, as well as replacement of river navigation and traffic signal lights
Thursday 22 December 2016 8:03 am
Tower Bridge will reopen today – ahead of schedule
What is city talk?
Tower Bridge is to reopen at noon today, after a three-month closure to traffic for maintenance work. The City of London Corporation originally planned to reopen the iconic bridge on New Year's Eve, but said that "due to favourable weather conditions and well organised planning, management, and project execution, the extensive refurbishment works were able to be completed ahead of the holiday season, meaning the bridge will be open to all users for the Christmas period".
Works undertaken during the three month closure of the vital river crossing included: