Renault chief executive Thierry Bollore is said to have avoided the matter of his potential exit from the firm in a conversation with staff today.
The car maker’s board are due to meet tomorrow to discuss a potential management shake-up.
Le Figaro newspaper reported that chairman Jean-Dominique Senard was poised to kick off a process to replace Bollore.
Speaking to staff on Thursday in an internal video exchange, Bollore said that what mattered for the company was its alliance with Nissan, and that it was “not a question of people”, Renault sources told Reuters.
He avoided going into further details, however, only saying he had met with Senard earlier on Thursday, and referred all matters to the board.
Nissan itself appointed a new chief executive earlier this week after months of financial stagnation and an internal scandal around the alleged financial misconduct of former chairman Carlos Ghosn.
Renault declined to comment.
Separately, the company said in a statement it would hold a board meeting on corporate governance issues on 11 October.
Bollore, for a long time Ghosn’s right-hand man, was promoted to help steady Renault earlier this year. while Senard was hired from Michelin to chair the group.
As well as stabilising the alliance with Nissan, Senard was tasked with shaking up Renault’s governance, which he has yet to do.