Everything you wanted to know about Whatsapp
SO, FACEBOOK opened the giant gates to its social coffers again – this time forking out $19bn for Whatsapp – making it its most expensive shopping trip ever. Zuckerberg and his desire to control all inter-friend communication aside, the founders of five-year-old Whatsapp, Jan Koum and Brian Acton, have just become the Valley’s newest billionaires.
Here’s some interesting facts about them:
1. Ironically Acton and Koum were both turned down for jobs at Facebook.
2. Koum is an emigre from formerly communist Ukraine – he moved to the US at 16, living in Mountain View (where Whatsapp’s office is now).
3. “No Ads! No Games! No Gimmicks!” reads a note (pictured) signed by Acton stuck up on Koum’s desk.
4. Acton was employee number 44 at Yahoo. Acton interviewed Koum for his job at Yahoo then they both left on the same day in 2007.
5. The Whatsapp office doesn’t have a sign outside because Koum considers it an ego boost.
6. Koum incorporated Whatsapp on his birthday, 24 February 2009.