Cottagers frustrated in Jol deal
FULHAM’S attempts to land Martin Jol suffered a setback last night after Ajax refused to discuss a compensation package to allow the Dutchman to join the west London club.
Jol, the former Tottenham boss, is said to have informed Ajax of his wish to move back to the Premier League and is said to be excited about joining the Cottagers.
It is claimed he is dismayed by the lack of money he has available to him at Ajax, and by the fact he may be forced to sell Dutch international right-back Gregory van der Wiel and Uruguay striker Luis Suarez just to free up funds.
But on a day of conflicting reports, it was earlier claimed Jol, 54, was ready to snub the Europa League runners-up and see out his contract in Holland.
Fulham’s chief executive Alistair Mackintosh is in Amsterdam trying to open negotiations, but Ajax are putting up a strong resistance.
The Cottagers would be required to pay compensation for Jol, who still has two years of his Ajax contract to run.
But with talks in gridlock, it now looks unlikely that Jol be unveiled before Thursday’s friendly against Halmstads, as originally intended.
Ray Lewington will take caretaker charge until an appointment is made.
Jol is Fulham’s No1 target to replace Roy Hodgson, who quit Craven Cottage for Liverpool earlier this month.
Sven-Goran Eriksson, Mark Hughes and Gianfranco Zola have also been linked with the post.