TfL Tube strike February 2016 update: RMT calls off London Underground maintenance workers' strikes on Friday and Saturday 12 and 13 February - but more action is on the way

 
Emma Haslett
Follow Emma
Hidden World Of The London Underground Night-Shift Worker
The union has planned seven strikes, although it called off a walkout on Friday (Source: Getty)

The RMT union has called off a strike of Tube maintenance workers, planned to take place on Friday and Saturday.

The strike, over what RMT called "basic safety issues", was set to last for 24 hours, from 6.30am on Friday.

But today the union put out a statement saying it had received confirmation changes to track access arrangements had been put on hold for two weeks to allow for a safety review.

Read more: Everything you need to know about the seven Tube strikes planned from this Friday

Earlier, it accused London Underground of "It argues this has created a "casualisation of the access process where professional, computerised systems have been handed over to staff who are undertaking safety related actions from memory with little to no training, no safety critical license and compromising the entire track safety regime".

But in a statement today it said:

The union has said that it will accept the proposal from the management that they will... return to the safe system of work from this Friday for two weeks. Both sides will return to ACAS at the completion of the safety review.

However, it added that further protests - including action short of a strike - is still planned, with the first action taking place on Sunday 6 March.

“The dispute remains live, further strike action remains in place from early March and the action short of a strike also remains in force," said Mick Cash, RMT's general secretary.

“The union has made itself available for the safety review and the continuing talks and we remain determined to secure a long-term agreement that protects the safety culture across London Underground.”

Related articles