Kevin de Bruyne on target as Manchester City thrash Black Cats

Ross McLean
Follow Ross
De Bruyne has scored two goals in as many games (Source: Getty)
Forward Kevin de Bruyne scored his second goal in as many matches as Manchester City recovered from successive defeats to dispatch struggling Sunderland 4-1 and surge into round four of the Capital One Cup last night.

City ran riot in the first-half at the Stadium of Light as Argentina striker Sergio Aguero opened the scoring from the penalty spot before De Bruyne, a £54.5m summer signing from Wolfsburg, doubled the lead.

An own goal from former Arsenal goalkeeper Vito Mannone and a Raheem Sterling strike compounded Sunderland’s misery, although the Black Cats did muster a late consolation courtesy of on-loan Rennes attacker Ola Toivonen.

Victory proved a tonic for City, who had suffered back-to-back defeats to Juventus in the Champions League and West Ham domestically, while Sunderland’s sole victory this term remains their League Cup win against Exeter City.

Swansea became the first Premier League side to suffer the ignominy of a third-round exit after succumbing 1-0 at Championship side Hull City, who were relegated from the top-flight at the end of last season.

Midfielder David Meyler scored the only goal of the game shortly before the interval, while Hull boss Steve Bruce opted to recall Jake Livermore to his starting XI, having not played since failing a drugs test in May.

Former Barcelona forward Gerard Deulofeu netted Everton’s winner as the Toffees staged a second-half fightback against in-form Championship side Reading to overpower them 2-1 at the Madejski Stadium.

Prolific forward Nick Blackman opened the scoring for the Royals, only for England midfielder Ross Barkley to strike back shortly after the hour mark and Deulofeu to complete the comeback.

Tim Sherwood’s Aston Vila prevailed from their Midlands derby with city rivals Birmingham courtesy of Rudy Gestede’s second-half clincher, while former England frontman Peter Crouch netted Stoke’s winner at Fulham in a 1-0 success.

Bournemouth required penalties to shrug off plucky Championship outfit Preston after failing to be separated in 120 minutes. The south coast side shaded the shoot-out 3-2.

Related articles