The campaign was set up in retaliation against the killings (Source: YouTube) (Source: Getty)
A campaign called OpCharlieHebdo has managed to suspend a number of terrorism-related Twitter
accounts in retaliation against the massacre that occurred at the offices of Charlie Hebdo last week.
The operation was set up via activist website Anonymous and says its actions are part of a “cyberwar” against extremists following the deaths of 12 people in the attack.
It invites social media users to report accounts believed to be associated with known terrorists to Twitter.
In its original message on PasteBin, the campaign listed 36 accounts which had all expressed support of the Charlie Hebdo attackers, Siad and Cherif Kouachi.
These 36 accounts have now been suspended, along with another 150 accounts reported by supporters of the campaign.
The group broke the news of its Twitter success during the early hours of this morning:
OpCharlieHebdo has also blocked access to at least 10 extremist websites since Saturday, after posting a list of the 15 websites it wanted to target on PasteBin.
In a statement, the group said that to “tackle the freedom of speech” was a “direct hit to democracy.”
It's obvious that some people don't want, in a free world, this sacrosanct right to express in any way one's opinions. Anonymous has always fought for the freedom of speech, and will never let this right besmirched by obscurantism and mysticism. "Charlie Hebdo", historical figure of satirical journalism has been targeted. Anonymous must remind every citizens that the press's freedom is a fundement of the democracy. Opinions, speech, newspaper articles without threats nor pressure, all those things are rights you can't change.
Originally the videos were all posted in French but, on Sunday, OpCharlieHebdo released its first announcement in English: