Corporation tax should be abolished as soon as possible
17 June 2014 9:42pm
As Lord Saatchi proposes abolishing corporation tax for small firms, is the levy justifiable at all?
Corporation tax is one of the worst on the books and it should be abolished as soon as possible. Corporations can hand over the cash, but they can’t bear the ultimate burden of tax, because they are legal constructs. In the end, the burden of corporation tax must fall on some combination of consumers (through higher prices), workers (through lower wages), or investors (through lower capital values or returns). There is no consensus among economists but, on average, empirical studies point to about 60 per cent coming out of wages. The other 40 per cent hits investors, meaning pension funds as well as the rich. But if we are really concerned about taxing the rich, we have better tools. Taxing investors reduces investment, and if there’s one thing economists can agree it is that investment means higher productivity and living standards for future generations. Cutting corporation tax on small businesses is a start, but it would be better to get rid of it altogether.
Ben Southwood is head of policy at the Adam Smith Institute.
To read the opposing view of this debate, visit http://www.cityam.com/article/1403028969/lord-saatchi-proposes-abolishing-corporation-tax-small-firms-levy-justifiable-all
In other news
There were delays of up to 30 minutes to trains in and out of Kings Cross Station, after the station was re-opened [Read more]
When a 20-year-old footballer publicly declares he wants to leave a club and his agent hurls insults at one of [Read more]
The outbreak of bird flu in the US is leading to an unprecedented situation for companies reliant on eggs – [Read more]
Germany's finance ministry has denied reports it was considering offering Greece its own parallel currency. [Read more]
Chancellor George Osborne was given a boost today, as higher tax receipts helped shrink the deficit by more than [Read more]
Beleaguered spread-betting firm Plus500 today suspended trading in its shares on London's junior market, following [Read more]
The news that card and electronic transactions have overtaken cash as the UK’s preferred method of payment is [Read more]
Despite the crippling effect of election uncertainty, offers received in April were up 15 per cent on last year [Read more]
Former secretary of state for communities and local government Eric Pickles is to be knighted, 10 Downing Street [Read more]
Network Rail engineers have destroyed the Abbey Wood station as part of the Crossrail development that is expected [Read more]
The Championship looks set to once again be named the fourth most-watched league in Europe, following a seven [Read more]
The Costa Coffee owner said Brittain was "the standout candidate from a very strong field". [Read more]
Sugary foods may be taxed to cover the costs of treating obesity, a government minister has said.
European governments must increase efforts to adopt structural reform if “lasting stability and prosperity” [Read more]
Accounting, finance and economics - choose to study any of these subjects anywhere and you'll be likely to land [Read more]
Badly-behaved bosses are a nightmare if you're the unfortunate employee who has to work for them - but they're [Read more]