During the latest presidential debate last night the Republican leadership candidate said he would appoint a special prosecutor to look into his Democratic rival's email use because she had endangered national security during her stint as secretary of state, between 2009 and 2013.
Clinton has maintained there was "no evidence" her server had been hacked. A months-long FBI investigation into her emails concluded earlier this year without charges being filed, though she has struggled to put the saga completely to bed.
The 90-minute town hall debate got off to a rocky start when the candidates greeted each other without the traditional handshake.
The debate quickly descended into a discussion of a 2005 video released by the Washington Post on Friday that recorded Trump talking about groping women without their consent with reporter Billy Bush.
While Trump has said he is embarrassed by the video, he dismissed it as "locker room talk" and said Clinton's husband Bill had done worse to women. "Mine are words and his are actions," Trump said.
The billionaire tycoon-turned-politician issued a 90-second apology video early on Saturday in a bid to get a hold on the scandal, saying he regretted what he had said in the video and that the words "don't reflect who I am".
However, a string of prominent Republicans including 2008 Presidential candidate John McCain and former secretary of state Condoleeza Rice have now withdrawn their support for Trump.
Nigel Farage defended Trump's lewd remarks yesterday, calling them "alpha male boasting" and the "kind of thing men do".