Holborn fire: Disruption continues as homes, businesses and roads remain shut

 
Catherine Neilan
Follow Catherine
The fire on Kingsway, Holborn began last Wednesday (Source: Getty)

The area around last week's blaze in Holborn is still disrupted by the aftermath, with some homes and businesses still shut, while traffic restrictions are in place until at least Wednesday (April 8).

The fire, which came from the service tunnels along Kingsway, Holborn, was finally extinguished by Sunday morning, five days after it first erupted.
London Fire Brigade said once the gas supply was isolated the flames had died down, but was still looking into the cause over the bank holiday weekend.
Camden Council is now responsible for getting the area back on track, along with UK Power Networks and National Grid, noting it had been “a complicated incident”.
“Our priority throughout the whole incident has been to ensure people’s safety,” the council said. “As a result we have had to ask for a bit more patience from businesses before the area can be fully open for business.”


Workers dig up a section of road outside Holborn underground station following the electrical fire (Source: Getty)

“Most of Kingsway has now reopened to residents, businesses and pedestrians, but restrictions to vehicle traffic will remain in place along both carriageways of Kingsway until at least Wednesday so we would ask commuters to consider alternative routes to work on Tuesday.”
As well as Kingsway, parts of Keeley Street and Great Queen Street are also still closed off. Businesses and residents have been told to report to the manned gates.
High Holburn to Southampton Row (northbound) is now open to traffic.
Camden Council is updating people throughout the day on its Twitter account @camdentalking. Residents can call on 020 7974 4444.

Related articles