The Payments Council, the voluntary industry body that sets strategy and standards for payment systems and services industry in the UK, provided the following advice yesterday:
• Speak to your bank or building society. They should help to resolve your problems as quickly as possible
• Make a note of all communication and keep documentary evidence of how you have been affected.
• If you don’t get the help you need, ask to follow your bank’s formal complaints procedure.
• If you are still not happy you can complain to the independent financial ombudsman. Phone: 0800 023 4567
If you have decided to switch, make sure you know your rights.
• Your current bank must give information to your new provider within three working days.
• Your new account must be opened within 10 days after your application is approved.
• Many banks will take care of switching standing orders to simplify the handover.
• You should not be charged for the transfer of money from old to new provider.