Kauto Star call delayed to Monday

HOPES that two-time Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Kauto Star will be fit to bid for a third win in next week’s race are growing – but a decision has been put on hold until Monday.

The Paul Nicholls-trained 12-year-old will gallop at Wincanton following today’s meeting as he looks to prove his recovery from a fall in schooling last week.

Nicholls gave an upbeat report on the celebrated chaser’s continued improvement yesterday but owner Clive Davis insists a final decision will not be made until after the weekend.

“He’s coming along nicely now and is almost back to normal,” said Davis. “We’re nearly there, I think. The decision on whether he runs or not will be made on Monday, not Friday.

“Paul has said the he will school him on the grass gallops at home, as he has done every year before Cheltenham, and after he's done that the decision will be announced.”

Nicholls, who plans to test the five-time King George winner alongside stablemate Mon Parrain this afternon, said: “Kauto Star enjoyed his usual morning preparation before having two canters up the hill with Big Buck’s and he continues to please us and head in the right direction.”