England cricket bosses were handed a boost by all-rounder Chris Jordan after he categorically confirmed his intention to tour Bangladesh this winter despite ongoing security concerns.
Jordan followed the lead of Worcestershire’s Moeen Ali who has already publicly pledged his attendance, while Test skipper Alastair Cook and Jonny Bairstow are believed to be of a similar mindset.
The England hierarchy, however, is still awaiting a decision from limited-overs captain Eoin Morgan over his readiness to travel to a country which witnessed the loss of 29 lives following a terrorist attack in capital city Dhaka in July.
But Jordan, who is set to feature in England’s T20 International against Pakistan at Old Trafford on Wednesday, has committed to the October tour, which includes three one-day internationals and two Test matches.
“If selected, I will definitely go,” said Jordan. “Our head of security Reg Dickason went over and brought back a thorough report, as he does for any trip.
“They obviously said they’ll provide more than enough security. They reckon they’ll overcook themselves on the amount provided.”
Asked whether there were members of the England Test and limited-overs camps who were vacillating, he added: “Possibly, and naturally so. It’s not the ideal situation, but we can’t change it or what’s gone on in the past.”
One of those wavering is Morgan, and former England captain Kevin Pietersen believes his ex-team-mate will be risking his international future should he opt against going to Bangladesh.
“Eoin Morgan has no choice but to go to Bangladesh,” wrote Pietersen in his column in The Telegraph. “It is a case of one in, all in so if he does not go he will have a red cross next to his name as far as the bosses at the England and Wales Cricket Board are concerned.
“People at Lord’s have long memories. They will not forget that he went against their advice and refused to captain England on a tour. It might not damage his standing with fellow players bit it certainly would with the hierarchy in St John’s Wood.”
The England and Wales Cricket Board confirmed last month that following a fact-finding mission and security assessment from Reg Dickason, their head of security, the tour would go ahead.
Head coach Trevor Bayliss confirmed in the aftermath of England’s final 50-over tussle against Pakistan at Cardiff on Sunday that it would be down to the individual choice of the player whether to travel or not.
England, meanwhile, will bring their international summer to a close on Wednesday evening against Pakistan at Old Trafford having beaten the same opposition 4-1 in the one-day series.
Lancashire’s Jos Buttler is set to return to the starting XI an assume wicketkeeping duties from Bairstow on his home ground, having suffered a hamstring injury in the build-up to Sunday’s showdown.