FA chairman Greg Dyke to leave role following Euro 2016

 
Joe Hall
Follow Joe
England v Portugal - UEFA Under21 European Championship 2015
Dyke said he was not the right man to push through reforms (Source: Getty)

FA chairman Greg Dyke has announced his intention to leave the organisation after Euro 2016, claiming it needs "more of a conciliatory figure" to push through reforms.

The former BBC director-general replaced David Bernstein in July 2013 and quickly built a reputation for his outspoken style and strong opposition to Sepp Blatter as Fifa president.

Dyke had initially planned to stand for an additional year in office once his current contract ends in June, but has reconsidered following opposition to some of his proposed reforms from the FA council.

Read more: Greg Dyke asks if Fifa ever awarded a World Cup without "a pile of bungs"

"I had already decided that if no reform was possible I was going to leave anyway this summer, a position I had shared with a number of colleagues," he told the FA board on Thursday morning.

"What I now see is that even if we get the reform through (which will be a difficult and divisive process although essential), I am probably not the best person to pick up the pieces following the inevitable discord."

He added that the FA was in a "dramatically better financial position" than when he took over and claimed the coaching education structure had been "radically changed".

During his time at the FA, the former Brentford chairman made headlines for a throat-slitting gesture after England were drawn into a World Cup group with Uruguay and Italy, claiming "we should shoot ourselves" if England didn't qualify for Euro 2016 and suggesting England should be planning to win the 2022 World Cup.

Proposals to incorporate Premier League B teams into the Football League as a way of giving young English players more game time were also widely criticised and failed to gain traction.

Related articles