What you need to know before the open
15 May 2014 7:46am
A less positive open is expected today, as investors digest the EU inflation and growth numbers due out today.
So far, numbers have shown a shock flatlining of French growth in the first quarter, as the stuttering economy saw household consumption drop.
It’s a different story in Germany, however, where warmer weather saw the powerhouse economy strengthen on more spending.
Concern over both the EU recovery and what’s going on the other side of the pond - with this week’s April retail sales poor - continue to hold markets back. Upside progress is also being kept in check by Ukraine fears.
Carphone Warehouse and Dixons have confirmed a £3.7bn merger, with shareholders of each company expected to hold a stake of 50 per cent in the new “Dixons Carphone”.
And Walkie Talkie tower owner Land Securities has more than doubles its profits, to £1.1bn, saying a roaring London market means its speculative strategy is paying off.
The London Stock Exchange has reported a 50 per cent rise in revenues, to almost £1.1bn, following its purchase of the clearing house LCH.Clearnet.
Data in focus
- 9.00am: EU ECB monthly report
- 10.00am: EU April inflation
- 10.00am: EU first quarter GDP
- 10.00am: UK March CB leading economic index
- 1.30pm: US April inflation
- 1.30pm: US initial jobless claims
- 1.30pm: US May Empire State manufacturing index
- 2.00pm: US March total net TIC flows
- 2.15pm: US April industrial production
- 3.00pm: US May NAHB housing market index