WIGAN look set to win the race for one of the hottest properties in the British game by signing Victor Moses from Crystal Palace.
The Nigerian-born teenager, who can play on the wing or as a striker, is today expected to complete a £2.5m transfer deadline-day switch to the Latics.
Moses, 19, has been linked with moves to some of Europe’s top clubs, including Real Madrid and Barcelona, as well as the cream of the Premier League. But instead top-flight strugglers Wigan are poised to land a player who has represented England at Under-19 level.
The youngster’s exit has looked inevitable since Palace went into administration last week. Moses was promptly withdrawn from the midweek trip to Newcastle for fear of him picking up a transfer-scuppering injury, and was also left out of Saturday’s defeat of Peterborough. Promotion-chasing Newcastle, West Brom and Nottingham Forest also bid to buy Moses from their Championship rivals. But manager Neil Warnock said on Saturday the player was bound for the top flight.
“I think it’s done, Victor is going to the Premier League,” he said. “I think £2.5m is a snip for one of the best young players we’ve got.
“Manchester City should have bought him ages ago instead of messing about, but another Premier League club have made an offer.”