SHAMED batsman David Warner confessed yesterday he feels lucky not to have been sent home from Australia’s tour of England, after Cricket Australia dished out a suspension until the start of the Ashes series and fined the 26-year-old £7,000 following an assault on rival Joe Root.
Warner punched Root during a night out in a Birmingham bar following Australia’s 48-run Champions Trophy defeat to the hosts on Saturday, admitting he had “had a couple of drinks”.
Having already apologised privately to Root, Warner did so again publically yesterday and acknowledged he is fortunate to have retained his place with the touring party.
“Definitely. I have to be a bit smarter with what I do on and off the field,” he said. “I have accepted the punishment. It’s up to me to be accountable for my actions, which I am, and try not to be aggressive, like I did.
“I won’t deny I had a couple of drinks, but there’s no excuse for that. I did what I did and it’s totally out of line.
“I exchanged text messages with Joe, he accepted my apology which I am thoroughly grateful for and it won’t come to that circumstance again.”
Warner will miss the rest of Australia’s Champions Trophy campaign, plus two four-day warm-up matches against Somerset and Worcestershire ahead of the first Ashes Test at Trent Bridge, which commences on 10 July.
His latest misdemeanor follows a series of foul-mouthed rants at journalists via Twitter last month, for which Warner was fined £3,700.
And Warner is now determined to put a troublesome period behind him.
“It’s disappointing to have two incidents in a matter of months,” he said.
“I’m here to apologise for my actions and it’s come two or three weeks after that incident occurred in India. I’ve got to draw a line over it and move on.”