MARK WEBBER says he is benefiting from age and experience as he continues his charge towards the world title.
The Australian completed an impressive light-to-flag victory in Monte Carlo on Sunday to take him level with Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel at the top of the drivers’ championship for the first time.
Webber has previously been labelled as something of a journeyman during his nine years in Formula One, but like Jenson Button last year, he is enjoying the form of his life in his latter years.
And the 33-year-old believes his experience is paying dividends. “Jenson had a very good year last year, we all know that,” said Webber.
“He was written off in seasons before for lots of different reasons here and there. I still feel I am driving pretty well. The fire is still burning pretty brightly inside.
“Of course, I am not 21, although I would love to be 21 again. But in the end I don’t think I am losing too much by being a bit older.
“I also have some wisdom and it’s not held me back too much, so I will keep going and I am certainly not low on confidence at the moment.”
Red Bull’s stunning form has led to suggestions that the title race is a two-horse race between the drivers, but Webber insists it is too early to write off any of his other rivals.
“Two races ago everyone was saying it was someone else for the title, and in two races time they might be saying someone else again,” he added.
“Obviously, I would rather be here than 40 points behind, so although we have a good tally at the moment, I don’t think it’s between two guys. It’s too early.”
STANDINGS | DRIVERS’ CHAMPIONSHIP
1. Mark Webber (Red Bull) 78pts
2. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull) 78
3. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) 75