Deserted beaches, colourful fiestas, shopping meccas, or that perfect sunset - every destination opens up a world of golden opportunities. If exploring new places is your passion, the Preferred Rewards Gold Card from American Express can make your getaway even more rewarding.
With the value of gold at an all time high, the Card now offers more benefits than ever before, making it the must-have travel accessory for your next getaway. With endless opportunities to earn points which can be redeemed for flights, hotels and lots more, now is the time to start planning your big break.
Whether you’re going global or planning something a little closer to home, here’s some inspiration on must-visit destinations for the year ahead.
Venture beyond the traditional weekender destinations and make a break for Positano on the picturesque Amalfi Coast. Dramatic steep cliffs, quaint multicoloured hillside buildings and sparkling sea views make for a captivating getaway. Explore the charming town’s stunning boutiques and restaurants, or take a boat to nearby Capri or Grotta dello Smeraldo – a mystic water-filled cave.
BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
One of the world’s most vibrant cities, Buenos Aires, should be on every traveller's wish list - sultry tango clubs; streets teaming with art galleries, cafes and jazz bars; riverboat rides into the Tigre Delta. For a stylish visit, rent out a townhouse in the bohemian San Telmo region, or make it a real adventure by staying on a rural ranch.
Crowned European Capital of Culture in 2011, Tallinn offers a captivating fusion of medieval and modern. Journey through the old town with its ancient city walls, cobbled alleyways and castle towers, or delve into the vast collection of museums.
For the best shopping experience, wind your way through Old Town’s hidden courtyards and cellar shops. If you’re on the fashion trail, discover some of Tallinn’s best backstreet boutiques on Muurivahe Street.
JORDAN, MIDDLE EAST
Petra, Jordan's UNESCO World Heritage Site, is undoubtedly a world wonder - a vast, unique city, carved into the sheer rock face by the Nabataeans. But outside this lost canyon, other treasures and riches await - the magnificent 2000-year old Treasury, the narrow Siq gorge, the trek up to Al Dayr monastery.
To sample Croatia's Dalmatian Coast without the crowds, head north to the walled port of Zadar. Filled with rich historical treasures and natural beauty, wander the quiet streets, relax undisturbed on pine-scented beaches and sail to remote islands. The region is also home to three national parks, offering hiking, rock climbing and much more.
When you switch your spend to the Preferred Rewards Gold Card you’ll earn double Membership Reward points on virtually all travel related purchases including flights, hotels, trains, cruises and car hire.
Whether you’re dreaming about a winter sun escape, a chic city break or the trip of a lifetime, you can redeem your points for all kinds of things. Transfer them to ten of the world’s major frequent flyer programmes such as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, or convert them into stylish hotel stays at the likes of Hilton, Waldorf-Astoria and St. Regis.
Better still, you'll receive 20,000 bonus Membership Reward points in the first three months of Cardmembership simply by spending £1,000 on the Card. That’s enough for two complimentary return flights to some of Europe’s most exciting cities with British Airways or an upgrade to Premium Economy with Virgin Atlantic*.
If you’re looking for a more rewarding travel experience, visit amex.co.uk/gold
• 1 point for virtually every full £1 spent.
• Double points on travel related spend, such as flights, hotel stays and car hire.
• Double points on virtually all your purchases while you’re abroad.
• Double points at major supermarkets and petrol spending in the first year of Cardmembership.
• 20,000 points when £1,000 is spent and charged in the first 3 months of Cardmembership.
• 7,500 point bonus every time you renew your Card, if you’ve spent at least £15,000 in the previous year.
• Transfer points to over 15 major frequent flyer and hotel programmes.
• Redeem on Eurostar travel, car hire, hotels and more.
• Book travel through Membership Rewards Travel Agency and pay for it with points.
• Points can be used on everything from entertainment and experiences to electronics and retail via our catalogue.
• Tripflex™ option allows you to redeem points against any travel purchase on your Card, no matter where you bought it.
• Two complimentary annual visits to more than 350 airport lounges.
• No limit on the points you can earn, and no expiry date either. Preferred Seating which gives exclusive access to some of the UK’s hottest shows and events.
• Travel inconvenience insurance, travel accident insurance and our Global Assist® Service.
* Subject to availability – taxes, fees and surcharges apply.
If you’d prefer a Card without any rewards, other features or a Cardmembership fee, an alternative option is available – the Basic Card. Terms and conditions apply. The Preferred Rewards Gold Card is offered by American Express Services Europe Limited. Registered Office: Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9AX. American Express Services Europe Limited is authorised in the United Kingdom by the Financial Services Authority under the Payment Services Regulations 2009 (reference number 415532) for the provision of payment services.