TRANSPORT for London (TfL) has vowed to keep as many services operating on Sunday and Monday as possible as London Underground (LU) workers stage their latest strike.
If the 24-hour stoppage by LU workers goes ahead on Sunday evening at 7.00pm, the TfL said it will provide one hundred extra buses, marshalled taxis and increased passenger capacity along the Thames.
TfL shot down claims made by unions RMT and the Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association (TSSA), which represent the striking workers, that last month’s action paralysed London. LU carried over a million people during the 24-hour period.
“As we saw in the last strike, the belligerent actions of the union leaderships will not bring London to a halt,” said Mayor Boris Johnson.
RMT and TSSA union members are protesting over plans to cut 800 jobs and close ticket offices.