Soaring fees make Wenger wary about January spree

ARSENAL manager Arsene Wenger insists it would cost him £60m to bow to mounting pressure from fans and splash out on a world-class player in January.

An estimated transfer kitty of £50m has been topped up by the £150m sponsorship deal the club signed with airline Emirates last week. But Wenger has refused to commit to spending, emphasising that fees and wages of the most sought-after stars continue to rise.

“I don’t know how active we will be in January. We will be in the market and if we can find a real top, top player, we will do it,” he said.

“There are two aspects to any deal, one is the transfer [fee] and the other is the wages. The transfers for these kinds of players are not at £30m today, they are at £50m or £60m and what has gone through the roof is the wages of these players.”

Wenger, who has forward Theo Walcott back from injury for tonight’s Premier League trip to Everton, was barracked by fans during Saturday’s 0-0 at Aston Villa.

The Frenchman yesterday admitted his interest in Crystal Palace and England forward Wilfried Zaha, fuelling speculation he could bid for the £10m-rated youngster when the transfer window opens.

Wenger has also urged fit-again midfielder Jack Wilshere to show his commitment to the club by signing an extension to a contract due to expire in 2015. “He’s always been very committed and I hope he will show that,” he said. “There is only one way to show that and it is to commit your long-term future.”