AS I write this, there are four people in my line of vision who are huddled in their coats, cradling hot cups of tea. The cold snap has given everyone the urgent need to snuggle up and be warm and cosy but many of us seem to be caught short – our wardrobes still with one sleeve in the Indian summer.
But the leggings and summer dresses now really need to be shut away, and we’re looking to satisfy our craving for warming, snuggly items; not just coats, but all the other accoutrements needed for true cosy warmth.
Every year, knitwear gains fashion credentials. Last year it was snoods all round; this year cowls, shoulder warmers, shrugs, cuffs and capes are all essential wear. Our favourite is the knight’s hood from The North Circular – who knew that chainmail made from knitwear could be so stylish? Experiment with new types of warmth: if you’re used to the traditional hat, scarf and gloves, try a snood, shrug or hood. Your body will thank you.
1. Silk and cashmere layered scarf, Gucci, £615, www.netaporter.com
2. Studded gloves, Banana Republic, £55, www.bananarepublic.eu
3. Mohair bolero, Sportmax, £428, www.matchesfashion.com
4. Rabbit-trimmed silk snood, Burberry, £595, www.netaporter.com
5. Catch shrug, The North Circular, £200, www.thenorthcircular.com
6. Knitted fur snood, Pringle of Scotland, £495, www.pringlescotland.com
7. Knight’s hood, The North Circular, £80, www.thenorthcircular.com