REINVENTING the wheel would be easier than altering the basic beauty look for summer. It’s common sense, really: when the sun’s out and the sweat’s pouring, you’re not going to want to wear Geisha makeup. Red lips, caked foundation, smokey eyes – no thanks.
But there are subtle alterations as new products launch that make it ever easier to attain the holy grail of summer beauty: a lasting dewy glow (as opposed to sweaty shine), bright eyes and full, popsicle-stained lips. And, as glow-enhancing products become better, you can tweak your requirements in ways our foremothers couldn’t have imagined.
Annalise Quest, beauty buyer at Harrods, says: “It’s important to choose textures that suit and work with your skin and will also last the day.”
Summer beauty is largely about rocking the basics. “Your essential cosmetics kit should include some classics that will take you anywhere: the best mascara, the best highlighter and bronzer and a classic red to add a touch of sophistication in a minute,” says Quest.
1. Dolce and Gabbana Animalia bronzer, £33, harrods.com
2. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear gel eyeliner, £15.50, bobbibrown.co.uk
3. Dior Five Couleurs Lift eyeshadow, £40, harrods.com
4. Guerlain Terracotta Gloss & Shine Balm Sun Shimmer, £18, escentual.com
5. Kahina Toning Mist, £28, .beautyworkswest.com
6. Benefit Cha Cha tint, £24.50, most department stores
7. Liz Earle Instant Boost skin tonic, £11.75, uk.lizearle.com