AUTUMN breaks don’t come much more spectacular than driving holidays in the Alps, where the summer season still has a month and a half to go.
Hiring a classic set of wheels for a buzz along the snaking Stelvio Pass or the Grossglockner High Alpine road still has the glamour of the great age of motoring, something you can also find at Goodwood Revival, the classic car extravaganza that takes place in a couple of weeks. But you need to look the part – comfy driving jeans and a sweatshirt do not cut the mustard as you swing into the forecourt of Badrutt’s Palace at the wheel of a vintage Aston. Here are some ideas to bring out the stylish inner-Connery of any man heading for the hills in a classic car.
1. Prada Linea Rossa £175, www.davidclulow.com
2. Persol Roadster, £235 www.sunglasshut.co.uk
3. Lotus Originals leather driving gloves, £149
4. Lotus Originals racing leather jacket, £890 www.lotusoriginals.com
5.TAG Heuer Monza re-edition. £4,800 www.tagheuer.com
6. Bottega Veneta suede driving shoe, £325 www.mrporter.com
7. Chucs cashmere pullover, £425
8. Ralph Lauren Purple Label chinos, £265 www.mrporter.com