FIT IN THE CITY
FITNESS & DIET EXPERT
FITNESS HOLIDAYS have gone from strength to strength in recent years. And while the market was once dominated by health conscious women, men are now much more likely to join them on a fitness retreat.
So, if soaring stress levels and the endlessly bad weather are getting the most of you, check out some of these alternative Easter breaks.
1) If you’re looking for an environmentally-friendly holiday, you could do a lot worse than prop up the economy and holiday at home in Yorkshire’s Brompton Lakes. Here you can walk, fish, and cycle to your heart’s content from your base at a luxurious eco-lodge set in the Yorkshire Dales. And, in case you need an Easter fix, there’ll be egg hunts and other themed events taking place nearby. bromptonlakes.co.uk; from £633 a night
2) If you’re looking to get a head start with your beach-ready fitness regime, UK-based bootcamp REVIVAL is hosting a week long event in its new boutique Barcelona resort. Activities range from canoeing on the Olympic canal to hiking on Mount Monserrat. If anything is ever going to take your mind off all that hard work and calorie restriction, this scenery’s sure to be it. revivalbootcamp.com; price on request
3) Lay off the chocolate eggs this Easter break and head to In:spa’s Easter detox in Marrakech. Mornings are spent hiking the Atlas mountains, while afternoons involve yoga, massage, and copious amounts of chilling with your Kindle under an apricot tree. inspa-retreats.com; from £2,195 pp/week
4) For the ultimate active break, the National Trust has just launched its new Hike, Bike and Kayak tours in the Surrey Hills. Enjoy the Surrey Hills wine at Denbies Vineyard before cycling unsteadily along a stretch of the Olympic cycle route. nationaltrust.org.uk/surreyhills; £499 pp for three days
5) Keen to get the kids to work for their Mini Eggs? The Intercontinental hotel at the Aphrodite Hills Resort in Cyprus is hosting Easter Family Tennis Week in partnership with the Annabel Croft Tennis Academy. Courses last five days and include one and a half hours of coaching per day and entry to a junior tournament. thehealthyholidaycompany.co.uk; five day tennis coaching course £405 (hotel not inclusive)
6) Cash rich, time-poor and keen to loosen your belt a notch? Head to Miami, the city of the perfectly toned. Swanky Miami hotel W South Beach (dubbed the “Playground of the Cool”) has introduced a Work It Out package for couples to “enjoy” hours of daily private yoga and training while basking in the Florida sun.
wsouthbeach.com/work-it-out; from £900 pp/night