North Luffenham Hall, Rutland
Strutt & Parker Guide price: £3.45m
This charming property sits to the south of North Luffenham village and is adjacent to the 13th-century St. John the Baptist Church.
Built in 1555 by James Harrington, the house was originally named “The Digby House” after Simon Digby, who acquired it in 1559. Digby was a named conspirator in the Gunpowder Plot, and was thought to have hosted planning meetings at the Hall, reportedly in the Digby Room.
On the first floor are a grand total of six bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a separate shower room. The large kitchen and breakfast room have a vaulted ceiling and skylight, as well as an oil-fired Aga, ideal for families and large gatherings. The drawing room has an open fireplace with a 17th-century carved oak mantel. The library on the west side of the house, has a clear view of the garden below. Both the east and west ends of this floor feature paneled reception rooms.
The first floor is a self-contained one-bedroom apartment with a private kitchen and sitting room. South-facing, it is accessed via the rear hall or a paneled landing attached to an oak staircase next to the reception room. Climb to the second floor and visitors will find four bedrooms and one bathroom. This floor has good height and plenty of space, recommended for older children to occupy.
The east end of the main house is currently designated as a “leisure complex,” with a large reception room fitted for kitchen appliances, an indoor swimming pool with a Jacuzzi and sauna, changing room, pump house, gymnasium and a barbeque room. Currently, the billiards room is being used as an office. The property sits on about 6.1 acres, surrounded by gardens scattered with topiaries. On the west side lies a rectangular sunken water garden, surrounded by terraced stone walls. Along with the gardens are six stables with a tack room, workshop and hayloft, and a separate barn. Do not forget about the tennis court, on the north side of the house, surrounded by various fruit trees. The towns of Stamford and Oakham are each 6.5 miles from North Luffenham Hall, while trains to Kings Cross can be got from Market Harborough, approximately 22 miles away. Access to the A1 is 5.5 miles away.
020 7318 5190.