Fears for Serena’s career after emergency operation

THIRTEEN-TIME grand slam winner Serena Williams was recovering from emergency surgery last night after a blood clot was discovered on her lungs.

Doctors in Los Angeles treated the 29-year-old for a haematoma, which her spokesperson said resulted from the blood clot, or pulmonary embolism.

The potentially fatal condition was first detected last week, it emerged yesterday, and Williams remains under observation while she recovers.

There are fears the American, who has not played since winning Wimbledon last year because of a foot injury, may never return to the court if she is forced to extend her already lengthy absence. Her spokesperson said: “[On] Monday Serena Williams underwent emergency treatment for a hematoma she suffered as a result of treatment for a more critical situation.

“Last week, Serena suffered from a pulmonary embolism which was discovered upon her return to L.A.

“She had been in New York for doctor appointments for the ongoing issues with her foot. Doctors are continuing to monitor her situation closely to avoid additional complications.”

As recently as Sunday Williams attended Oscars parties thrown by Elton John and Vanity Fair magazine, and had pencilled in a return at the Miami Open later this month, with a view to competing at the French Open.

Williams (left) injured her foot on broken glass in a Munich restaurant shotly after beating Vera Zvonareva in the Wimbledon final on 3 July last year.

She underwent surgery on the foot in July and again in October but still has not played competitively since and saw her 123-week reign as world No1 end in October when Caroline Wozniacki took advantage of her absence from the WTA Tour.