Built for George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham in the 17th century, Rutland’s Mansion House was severely damaged by Parliamentarians in the civil war. It was resurrected by Daniel Finch, second Earl of Nottingham and sixth Earl of Winchelsea, in 1694. The “new house” was built over the next six years. It was even considered for the Duke of Wellington’s palace before he was given Stratfield Saye in 1817. It weathered the years until 1908 when, during his stay, Winston Churchil was accused of starting a fire that damaged the building, leading to its renovation.
In short, if it is history you’re after, look no further.
In the 1990s, the house was divided into six wings designed by architect Kit Martin. The Palladian structure is in an H-plan and has projecting end pavilions, while its symmetrical wings and outbuildings form a cour d’honneur, or three-sided courtyard.
High ceilings and a large sitting room give the house a light and comfortable feel, with oak panelled walls and part-glazed doors leading to a private garden and patio. On the ground floor, the main entrance hall leads to an oak-panelled reception room. Adjacent is a study, with a view of the courtyard. The west-facing kitchen is flooded with natural light, and is large enough for family dinners or a gathering with friends. The dining room, meanwhile, faces the Rutland Water reservoir. West Wing can also be accessed from the north side of Mansion House, via the stone steps leading up to the rear door.
The guest bedroom upstairs is connected to the formal drawing room by an oak-panelled corridor. The drawing room has an open fireplace and 25-mile views of Rutland Water and the countryside. The second floor contains the master bedroom and one guest bedroom. The top staircase leads to a roof terrace with more impressive views of the countryside.
Two more bedrooms sit on the lower ground level, along with a gym and shower room and utility room. It is fitted out with oak staircases and a lift makes all floors wheelchair accessible.
In addition, 67 acres of communal gardens and grounds surround Mansion House, while the South Terrace is restricted to only six residents.
The property is located two miles northeast of Oakham, on the highest point in Rutland's countryside. The reservoir is a popular destination for anglers, sailing and other aquatic sports, while a 25-mile trail offers great excursions for walkers and cyclists. In front of the West Wing a nature reserve houses the first ospreys bred in England.
The house is just 10 minutes from the A1 and 20 minutes from the M1, while Peterborough station has direct links to Kings Cross. Oakham station has trains to Peterborough, Stanstead, Birmingham and Leicester.
For more information go to www.chestertonhumberts.com or call (0)20 7594 4746.
Mansion House, Rutland Guide price £1.8m