THE DEATHS of two horses at Newbury last Saturday were caused by “accidental electrocution”, a British Horseracing Authority (BHA) investigation confirmed yesterday.
Fenix Two and Marching Song died in the paddock area before the first race, which was run before the remainder of the meeting was abandoned, and post-mortems revealed both suffered heart attacks. An electricity cable which ran beneath the parade ring has since been disconnected and removed.
Professor Tim Morris, director of equine science and welfare for the BHA, said: “The authority has been officially informed that there was leakage of electricity from a cable under the parade ring. The post-mortem examinations showed sudden cardiac arrest as the cause of death. These findings are all consistent with the cause of death being accidental electrocution.”