Dettori facing inquiry after failed drug test

THREE-TIME Champion Jockey Frankie Dettori faces a French horse racing inquiry after returning a positive test for a banned substance at a meeting at Longchamp in September.

A solicitor for Dettori, arguably the highest profile rider in flat racing over the last two decades, said the British-based Italian's case would be heard next week.

"On behalf of Frankie Dettori I can confirm that, as a consequence of a positive test at Longchamp on September 16 2012, he will be the subject of an inquiry by the Medical Committee of France Galop next week," said solicitor Christopher Stewart Moore. "In compliance with, and out of respect for, the regulations of France Galop, he will not be commenting further until the France Galop procedures have been completed."

French racing chiefs have not revealed any further details of the 41-year-old's positive test, which came on a day in which he had four rides.

Dettori, whose 18-year association with stable Godolphin ended last month, rode the Marco Botti-trained Joshua Tree to third in the Qatar Prix Foy and could not prevent John Hammond's Sarah Lynx coming last in the Prix Vermeille.

He then finished a close second on Godolphin's Farhh in the Prix de Moulin and third in the Prix Gladiateur aboard Willing Foe, from the same owners.