ON midfielder Fabrice Muamba remained in intensive care for a second night, following his heart attack during Saturday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Tottenham.
Doctors said the 23-year-old former Arsenal trainee, whose sudden collapse prompted the tie at White Hart Lane to be abandoned shortly before half-time, would remain in intensive care until at least later today.
Muamba, who needed to be resuscitated by medics using electric shock treatment, remains critically ill and under close observation at the London Chest Hospital in Bethnal Green.
In a joint statement yesterday Bolton and the hospital said: “Fabrice Muamba remains in a critical condition in intensive care. As is normal, he remains anaesthetised and will be for at least 24 hours.
“Fabrice received prolonged resuscitation at the ground and en route to the London Chest Hospital, where his heart eventually started working. His condition continues to be closely monitored by the cardiac specialists.”
Doctors said Muamba’s cardiac arrest was likely to be caused by a congenital anomaly in his heart rather than the ill health that is typically at the root of the majority of cases.
Bolton’s FA Cup tie with Spurs has yet to be rescheduled, while their Premier League fixture against Aston Villa, which had been due to be played tomorrow night, has been postponed.
Trotters manager Owen Coyle yesterday thanked fans for messages of support after visiting Muamba.
He said: “We have been inundated by good messages, everyone praying for Fabrice, which is very important. It has been a real source of strength for the family. We know how difficult a time it is for everyone.
“It is great to be talented at football but it’s more important to be a genuinely nice man and everyone recognises Fabrice is that. That has pulled everyone together. We certainly hope he comes through this. If he pulls through it would be marvellous.”
Bolton were drawing 1-1 with Spurs when the game was abandoned by Referee Howard Webb.