CAREERS NEWS | IN BRIEF

CITY WORKERS TO EARN MORE THIS YEAR
Financial services professionals expect to earn an extra £4,900 this year, costing their employers an extra £3.1bn. According to research from financial services recruiter Marks Sattin, professionals in the sector expect a 13.5 per cent salary increase in 2011, supplementing an 8 per cent increase last year. In 2009, the average salary in the sector stood at £33,700 and this rose last year to £36,400 – a rise of £2,700 for each employee. Nevertheless, workers at the beginning of 2010 had expected their salaries to rise by just over 13 per cent, which means that last year they each earned £1,800 less than they had hoped for.

UK GRADS MOVING ABROAD FOR WORK
A whopping 60 per cent of recent graduates (that’s up to 611,682 people) have not found a graduate job, says a survey by recruiter SHL. In addition, 73 per cent said they would consider moving abroad. Their main driver being a better salary. Sean Howard, the vice president of business solutions at SHL, says: “The UK is failing its graduates. School leavers are faced with difficult decisions, not only has the cost of going to university risen, but UK employment options are bleak.” Graduates are clearly open to the idea of taking their skills abroad.

MARKETERS NOT IMPRESSED BY SUGAR
Marketing bods are clearly not inspired by Lord Sugar. Just 27 per cent said they would consider quitting their job for a chance to take part in The Apprentice, according to recruiter EMR. While 73 per cent of marketers said they wouldn’t be tempted, it was a different story in other professions. Only 53 per cent of IT professionals voted the same way. Simon Bassett, the managing director of EMR said: “Despite the show having five contestants with a marketing or sales background among the 16 hopefuls, the research suggests most marketers are less keen to compete for Sir Alan’s entrepreneurial backing.”