Keane hits out at stars over United manager sacking

 
Frank Dalleres
Follow Frank
FORMER Manchester United captain Roy Keane last night laid the blame for manager David Moyes’s sacking squarely at the feet of his players.

The former Everton boss’s brief reign was brought to a close yesterday morning, and Keane believes United should have been more patient.

“He should have been given more time but some of the players should be ashamed of themselves,” he said. “They’ve really let Moyes down, and the club has let him down.”

Confirmation of Moyes’s dismissal came after almost 24 hours of increasing speculation that United’s owners, the Glazer family, had lost faith in the man hand-picked by his predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson.

“Manchester United announces that David Moyes has left the club,” a statement read. “The club would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role.”

A spokesperson for the Manchester United Supporters’ Trust (MUST) criticised the club’s handling of the decision, arguing they should have acted quicker.

“Manchester United’s history shows they deal with things with class and dignity but that has not been the case here,” said MUST vice-chair Sean Bones. “The story leaked before David Moyes had been spoken to, and that’s not the Manchester United way.”

Moyes is thought to have been told he was being fired yesterday morning after arriving at the club’s Carrington training ground at 5am.

United shares, which trade on the New York Stock Exchange, climbed to $19 yesterday for the first time since Ferguson’s retirement, suggesting market confidence in the club’s decision.

Defeat at former club Everton on Sunday proved the final straw for Moyes, who led United to their worst ever Premier League points total and the highest number of defeats for 36 years.