Deaths hit Brazil World Cup plan

 
Frank Dalleres
Follow Frank
FEARS that Brazil’s preparations for next summer’s football World Cup could be hit by further delays grew yesterday as workers threatened to strike following two deaths relating to the same site in 24 hours.

A local union in Manaus – where England play their opening match against Italy – said it could become the latest to take industrial action after two men involved in World Cup construction projects died in separate incidents on Saturday.

Marcleudo de Melo Ferreira, 22, died in hospital hours after falling 115ft from the roof of the city’s Arena Amazonia stadium, which is under construction. A second worker, 49-year-old Jose Antonio da Silva Nascimento, who had been building an adjacent convention centre, suffered a heart attack. It is not known whether work conditions contributed to his death, but his family said he had been building seven days a week to overcome delays.

The incidents follow deaths last month in Sao Paulo, after a crane fell onto the Arena Corinthians.