BATSMAN Joe Root has urged England to take immediate charge of the second Ashes Test when it gets underway in Adelaide this week.
The tourists find themselves in the unusual position of being on the back foot, following a 381-run defeat by Australia in Brisbane.
“This match is massive and it’s a great opportunity to go out there and make a statement as a team and put a big score on the board,” said Root, 22.
“We can’t think about last week; we have to think about this week, put ourselves in the front seat on that first day in Adelaide.”
Aussie paceman Mitchell Johnson terrorised England in the first Test, taking nine wickets in total, as Root and colleagues were skittled out for 136 and 179. But Root, who made 26 not out in the second innings and emerged with some credit, is itching to face Johnson again when battle resumes on Thursday.
“It’s great,” he said. “That’s why you play Test cricket, to get in confrontations and battles like that and try to be successful in those situations. Bring it on. I’m really looking forward to it.”