Eagles can soar after survival, says boss Pulis

NEW Crystal Palace boss Tony Pulis insists his ambitions lie beyond securing Premier League safety this season.

The former Stoke manager has signed a two-and-a-half year contract and takes charge of his first match away to Norwich on Saturday.

Palace currently sit second from bottom, three points adrift of safety and hope Pulis can maintain his record of having never been relegated to break their own unwanted statistic of never surviving a season in the top flight.

But Pulis is adamant he is capable of more than just prolonging Premier League existence.

“This is an opportunity to try and achieve something Palace have not achieved – get in the Premier League and stay there and take the club forward,” said the 55-year-old. “People talk about me being a firefighter, but I have also been very successful. It annoys me that in this country you get pigeon-holed for certain things.

“I’m still very ambitious, I like climbing hills. This is going to be a tough job, but one I will relish.”

Keith Millen, who helped Palace earn four points from his four-match spell in charge following Ian Holloway’s departure last month, will assume a role in Pulis’s backroom staff.

And the new Eagles boss hopes to continue his recruitment process in the January transfer window.

“I’ve spoken to Steve Parish [chairman] and we’ve got six games to go until the window opens again,” Pulis added. “We will probably need to wheel and deal and I know Steve will trust me to try and do what I can.”