Premier League abandons talks over plans to give top clubs larger slice of revenue

by

Source: Getty

Proposals to give a greater share of Premier League revenue to the biggest clubs appear dead in the water after the latest round of talks over the controversial plans was called off.

Six clubs – Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham – are believed to want a larger proportion of income generated from the sale of television rights to overseas broadcasters.

That income is around £3bn for the current 2016-19 cycle and has always been distributed equally.

Read more: Premier League clubs delay decision on TV cash shake-up

Clubs rejected proposals to distribute 35 per cent of overseas TV income according to league position earlier this month.

Further talks were due to take place on Wednesday but have been cancelled.

A majority of 14 of the 20 top-flight clubs must back any changes for them to be passed.

“It has become clear that there is currently no consensus for change, meaning [the] club meeting is not necessary,” the Premier League said.

The biggest clubs are understood to want a greater share of revenue because they believe it is their global fame that drives interest in the overseas broadcast rights, which are expected to see significant growth.

Three more clubs – upwardly mobile Everton, West Ham and Leicester – are said to be sympathetic to the idea but another five teams would have to support the plans in order for the distribution model to be changed.

Income from the sale of domestic TV rights, currently worth more than £5bn over three years but believed by some to be levelling out, is already divided in part according to league position.

Read more: Plans for Premier League clash on Christmas Eve abandoned