England all-rounder Ben Stokes will offer a full explanation of the events which led to his arrest last month when the time is right, according to his agent.
Stokes was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm following an incident outside a Bristol nightclub on 25 September. The 26-year-old remains under police investigation and could face criminal charges.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have suspended Stokes from international duty until further notice and have confirmed that, as things stand, he will not travel to Australia for this winter’s Ashes.
“Ben explained to me the full circumstances of what happened in Bristol and I told him that he has my total support and backing,” said Stokes's agent, the former Lancashire batsman Neil Fairbrother.
“I am aware that he has fully co-operated with the police inquiry and voluntarily provided a detailed statement on the same day as the incident. He will continue to assist the police in any way he can.
“Ben will also make public his full explanation and evidence when the time is right. On legal advice, that is not possible whilst the investigation continues and no charges have been brought forward. Ben does not wish to prejudice the process.
“He is also concerned about the impact the widespread publicity has on everyone involved including the ECB, his team-mates and the game of cricket itself which he loves. We will not be making any further comment relating to this at this time.”
Stokes, who is also subject to internal ECB disciplinary action, issued an apology to television personality Katie Price and her disabled son Harvey on Wednesday after a video clip emerged of him imitating them.
Stokes’s apology came hours before sportswear manufacturer New Balance ended their personal sponsorship of him, believed to be worth £200,000 a year.