An 18-year-old man has been charged over the Parsons Green attack

 
Caitlin Morrison
Follow Caitlin
BRITAIN-SECURITY-TRANSPORT
The scene of the attack last week (Source: Getty)

A teenager has been charged in connection with the Parsons Green Tube terrorist attack, Scotland Yard has said.

A bomb went off on a Tube train near the west London station last Friday, leaving 30 people injured.

Earlier today, Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick described the device used in the attack as a " very, very dangerous bomb".

"It partially detonated, it had a large quantity of explosive and it was packed with shrapnel. It could have been so much worse," she said.

This afternoon, the Met said Ahmed Hassan, 18, of Sunbury, Surrey, has been charged as follows:

  • On 15 September 2017 within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court attempted to murder persons travelling on a District Line Train from Wimbledon, contrary to section 1(1) Criminal Attempts Act 1981
  • On 15 September 2017 within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court maliciously caused by triacetone triperoxide (TATP) or other explosive substance and explosion of a nature likely to endanger life or to cause serious injury to property, contrary to section 2 Explosive Substances Act 1883.

The suspect will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court at 2pm today.

Three other men remain in custody in connection with the attack.

Searches are ongoing at one address in Surrey and two in Newport, Wales, the Met Police said.

This breaking news story is being updated as more information emerges - please refresh the page for the most recent version.

To keep on top of the biggest news stories as they happen, follow @CityAM on Twitter. You can also sign up for our newsletter alerts for updates throughout the day.

Related articles