Chelsea have cancelled their Premier League victory parade following the Manchester Arena terror attack earlier this week.
A suicide bomber killed 22 people in an attack at an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena on Monday night. Last night, Theresa May said the UK's terror threat level had been raised from severe to critical, and this morning troops were deployed onto British streets in response to the increased risk.
The club's parade was due to take place this Sunday, however Chelsea said today they felt it would be "inappropriate" to go ahead with the event.
The club said in a statement: "Everyone associated with Chelsea Football Club offers our heartfelt condolences to those affected by Monday’s terror attack in Manchester. Our thoughts go out to all the victims, and their families and friends.
"Given the heightened security threat announced by the government, and recognising that this is a developing situation, we have given this careful consideration. We strongly believe, in the interests of everyone, this is the correct course of action. We are sure our fans will understand this decision."
The club added: "Having consulted with the Metropolitan Police, Hammersmith & Fulham Council and other authorities, we know the emergency services would have been as professional as ever, but we would not want in any way to divert important resources by holding an additional, non-ticketed event on the streets of London.
"Furthermore, as a mark of respect, our players will wear black armbands at the FA Cup Final against Arsenal on Saturday. Chelsea Football Club will also make a donation to a fund supporting the victims of this horrific attack."