Borussia Dortmund bus bomber suspect shorted stock in the Bundesliga club

 
Joe Hall
Follow Joe
Dortmund bus attack
Dortmund players were left injured following the attack (Source: Getty)

German police said a man suspected of having set up last week's bomb attack on Borussia Dortmund's bus was attempting to profit by short selling stock in the publicly listed football club.

A 28-year-old man of dual German and Russian nationality, identified only as Sergej W., has been charged with 20 counts of attempted murder, the federal prosecutor's office said in a statement.

He is believed to have purchased 15,000 put options — which give the owner the right to sell at a fixed price in the future — on Dortmund shares, in an apparent bet their value would plummet following the attack.

Read more: Jurgen Klopp departure sparks Borussia Dortmund share price drop

Defender Marc Bartra spent days in hospital recovering from injuries sustained in the blast, after which metal shards were found embedded in headrests on the bus which had its windows smashed and tyres punctured.

Dortmund was forced to postpone its Champions League quarter-final tie with Monaco for 24 hours, after which manager Thomas Tuchel and players said they wanted more time to deal with the incident before playing.

The Bundesliga's stock did fall from €5.7 per share to a low of €5.4 per share following the attack – but fell further after the club were eliminated from the Champions League on Wednesday night.

Related articles