The US "mother of all bombs" attack on an Islamic State (Isis) base killed 36 militants, the Afghan defence ministry said this morning.
Yesterday, the US dropped a near-10,000kg bomb on a network of tunnel used by Isis in the Nangarhar region of Afghanistan.
The bomb was the largest non-nuclear device used in combat.
No civilians were killed as a result of the strike, the Afghan authorities said, but the deaths have yet to be independently verified.
US President Donald Trump has sent a delegation to Kabul, amid uncertainty about his plans for around 9,000 members of the US military stationed in Afghanistan.
Yesterday's attack was described by Trump as "another successful job". But former Afghanistan president Hamid Karzai hit out at the attacks on social media.
I vehemently and in strongest words condemn the dropping of the latest weapon, the largest non-nuclear #bomb, on Afghanistan by US...1/2— Hamid Karzai (@KarzaiH) April 13, 2017
2/2 military. This is not the war on terror but the inhuman and most brutal misuse of our country as testing ground for new and dangerous...— Hamid Karzai (@KarzaiH) April 13, 2017
2/3 weapons. It is upon us,Afghans, to stop the #USA.— Hamid Karzai (@KarzaiH) April 13, 2017
The base was used by Isis to launch its own attacks on other parts of the province, Afghan ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said.
Nangarhar governor Gulab Mangal added the tunnel network had been used to "kill people and hold important meetings".
A member of an anti-Isis group in the area told the BBC all civilians had left the area since the start of anti-Isis operations. He also said he was at a checkpoint 1km from the bomb strike.
He said: "We were eating dinner when we heard a big explosion, [I] came out of my room and saw a mountain of fire... the area was full of light with the fire of the bomb."