Former world No1 Tiger Woods insists he still hopes to be fit for next month’s Masters, despite scrapping plans to make his latest comeback at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
Woods, 41, has completed just one tournament since 2015 due to persistent back problems and was last seen in competition six weeks ago when pulling out of the Dubai Desert Classic after a 77 in the first round.
The 14-time Major winner warned earlier this month that there was “no timetable” for his return, but on Monday indicated that he had not given up on a challenge for a fifth Green Jacket in two weeks’ time.
“I’m trying everything I can just to be able to get back and play,” he said. “I love that event. It has meant so much to me in my life. It’s the first Major I ever played back in ‘95. It has so much history and meaning to me that I’d love to get back.”
Woods, whose prolonged absences have seen him slip to No674 in the world rankings, said his injuries had left him short of practice.
“The mind is sharp, I just need to get the body willing to do it,” he added. “That’s the hard part – getting the prep time. I haven’t been able to train like I used to, practise like I used to. So it’s been hard.”