A boxing super fight between heavyweights Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko has been given the green light for next spring by the World Boxing Association (WBA).
Providing Joshua successfully defends his IBF title against American Eric Molina in Manchester next month, the WBA has sanctioned a meeting between the British world champion and the Ukrainian Klitschko for the "super" world heavyweight title.
The blockbuster bout has been hotly anticipated since former champion Klitschko's opportunity to win back the WBA belt from Tyson Fury was cancelled last month, opening up the chance for Joshua.
Yet the bout failed to materialise this year with Klitschko first insisting the WBA title be on the line and then later suffering a minor injury.
Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn says he will now push ahead with organising logistics for the fight.
“It's been an arduous wait to gain official approval but we were delighted to receive the news that the WBA will official sanction the fight between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko for the WBA super title,” said Hearn.
“We will now move forward with Bernd Boente and Team Klitschko in planning the date and venue knowing that victory against Eric Molina in Manchester on December 10 is more important than ever.”
Klitschko promoter Boente described the potential match up as a "promoter's dream coming true".
"Two Olympic super heavyweight gold-medal winners fighting each other, the young lion challenging the old lion," he said. "This is a fight each boxing fan around the world wants to see."