Islamic State (Isis) have claimed responsibility for a series of bombs that hit Jakarta, the Indonesian capital, which left at least seven people were killed, including five attackers.
Isis officially claimed responsibility for the attack on Jakarta, Reuters reports.
“A group of soldiers of the caliphate in Indonesia targeted a gathering from the crusader alliance that fights the Islamic State in Jakarta through planting several explosive devices that went off as four of the soldiers attacked with light weapons and explosive belts,” the group said in a statement.
Jakarta police spokesman Muhammad Iqbal said five attackers and two other people have been killed around the Sarinah shopping mall on Thamarin Street, according to Associated Press. The mall is the oldest in Jakarta.
"We believe there are no more attackers around Sarinah. We have taken control,” Iqbal said.
However, it’s not clear if there are any more assailants at large outside the Sarinah area:
Police not sure if they've got all the Jakarta terrorists. Five dead. Big manhunt.— Adam Harvey (@adharves) January 14, 2016
Indonesian police have also arrested four suspected militants believed to be involved, Reuters reported.
The foreign office has updated its travel advice to Indonesia, advising people to avoid affected areas and follow the advice of local authorities.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo has appeared on televisionto tell the country that the situation is under control, and is calling on people to remain calm. “The state, nation and people should not be afraid of, and lose to, such terror acts.”
The attacks are suspected to be linked to the so-called Islamic State. Police spokesman Anton Charliyan told reporters that police did not know who was responsible, but added: “We have previously received a threat from Islamic State that Indonesia will be the spotlight.”
And police have exchanged gunfire with the suspects.
Counter terrorism units and tanks have been deployed in the city following the attacks.
Counter terrorism personnel have been deployed to the incident area pic.twitter.com/MP5gOIQENO— Saifulbahri Ismail (@saifulCNA) January 14, 2016